22 March 2008

A Commentary On Color

I've never been good with colors. For the longest time, I was stuck in the whole matchy-matchy color mode, where I was on the eternal quest to match my shoes with my purse. Hence, I could only make quilts that were the standard white and pink, blue and white, red and white, etc. Orange and blue? WHY?!?!

But over the past three years or so, I actually started discovering colors I never considered before. I really don't know how it happened. I guess it could be my age, or maybe by the simple scientific process of osmosis--my brother's studying art and there's talk of color and the fascination with it everyday.

I still have problems figuring out color value, especially for quilts, but I'm finding out that as much as anything, color is a practice. You keep at it, you get better.

I continue to be fascinated by how visual artists see color and design, which is why they're my muses. I need to borrow their eyes, because mine are, frankly, color blind. Or maybe color deaf. Whatever this affliction is, I realize that my eyes just weren't built to process color the way theirs do.

That's why my blog is this strange--though wonderfully new for me--palette. It's my way of celebrating this stunning ad for Bassetti Tessutti, the almost-mythical, labyrinthine fabric store in Rome:


And Maison Martin Margiela, whose creative genius continues to awe me with every new season.



No comments: