25 March 2008

Someone Bit My Head Off!

These ABC (Already Been Chewed) Cookie Cutters by Fred are morbidly cute. I think these would work great with your standard Gingerbread, Sugar or Snickerdoodle recipe!

Cut-outs can actually be a bit laborious, but I’ve found that chilling the dough makes for more defined and easier-to-handle cookies.

Here are some sugar cookie ones with royal icing that I made for a godson’s birthday last year. I had never worked with royal icing before and had a challenging time making sure all the cookies were equally thick. It got easier after the second batch. Plus, I couldn’t find any surfboard cookie cutters, so the lady at the baking supplies shop showed me a cool trick--you can actually bend some existing cutters into other shapes. She showed me how to modify an egg-shaped one by elongating it to look like a surfboard. Cowabunga!



Another cookie-cutter tip: try to find ones that don’t have seams (like the ones above.) These make the cookies’ edges look cleaner. The seamed ones are more readily available, though, so just check that they’re well-made and that the seams won’t leave any obvious marks in the dough.

Cookies are, for me, literally bites of joy. Here's hoping you make your own joyous bites soon!

No comments: